Railway buildings still in situ
The Alexandra Timber Tramway is custodian to a number of historic former railway buildings, including the Alexandra station building built in July 1911. In the early 1970s, the Alexandra and District Historical Society took over the station buildings to establish a museum. The station yard was overgrown and the buildings beginning to look dilapidated and a $50,000 Federal Government grant was obtained to undertake major repairs to the main station building. These repairs were completed in 1998.
Other original buildings at Alexandra include a double-section goods shed and a small mechanical workshop. Attached to the goods shed is a small office used in the last years of the line. Also on site is the original gang shed used in maintaining the Cathkin to Alexandra Railway and the last railway crane used at Alexandra at the north end of the yard.
Former Ruoak locomotive shed
This large double-track engine shed was constructed at the nearby Alexandra sawmill in 1936 by Ruoak Lumber Company to house the two Kelly and Lewis diesel locomotives. The building was relocated to the Alexandra station site in 1995 to make way for expansion at the mill. It is one of only two surviving light railway locomotive sheds in Victoria – the other being at the former McIvor firewood tramway at Tooborac.