Bar Title
 

Hopper Wagons

Historical Photo
Recent Photo

Status: Operational

The Alexandra Timber Tramway has a number of hopper wagons, sometimes known as “side-tipping skips” or “tumbling tommies”.  These were widely used whenever a bulk commodity or waste product had to be transported and then easily tipped by one man.  A large number were used in the construction of the Sugarloaf Dam (first Eildon Weir) between 1914 and 1927.  They were also used on the construction of the Rubicon hydro-electric scheme, in road-metal quarries and, sometimes, as transport for sawdust from a sawmill to the sawdust heap.  Most of the examples seen at the ATT were obtained with Malcolm Moore 1049 of 1943 and were used on the ash disposal line at the State Electricity Commission generating station at Yallourn.