Bar Title
 

Harman twin-drum logging winch

Historical Photo
Recent Photo

Status: Static display

Many of the steam logging winches used in Victorian logging were cobbled together from whatever equipment the sawmiller could be purchase cheaply.  However, one Victorian manufacturer produced a winch of such quality and in such volumes that it was never surpassed by any other locally-made variety.  The Harman winch was manufactured by Alfred Harman & Sons at their Port Melbourne engineering works.  The winch, patented in 1913, related to features of the cast-steel upper frame.  A second-motion winch, it featured cylindrical trunk guides, flat "D" slide valves, Stephenson's link reversing gear, a cast steel frame mounted on rolled steel joists and twin cast steel drums.  The winch was available as "a pair of eights" or a "pair of tens" depending on the cylinder diameter.

A long-standing problem with steam winches was that they tended to be placed on spurs and ridge-lines where water was either scarce or had to be piped over long distances.  The introduction of crawler tractors to Victorian Forests in the late 1930s appears to have forced Harman & Sons to enter the internal-combustion age.  By 1941, the firm was offering to recondition sawmillers' tractor engines for fitting to winches.  As a result, the frames of many Harman steam winches were converted to diesel power, and Harman even produced a brand-new purpose-built "Harman Diesel 80" winch.  At least one of the latter survived in use until the 1970's.